Its been a very long time since I added any models to my Soviet force. This is despite having a comprehensive collection of late war Red Army figures in the lead pile. Every time I made a decision as to what to paint next, the Soviets got pushed down the list.
Two things combined to get these lads on to the painting table. First, another whole army of Soviets - an early war force thanks to the Baker Company Winter War Kickstarter - are due to arrive soon, and I felt I needed to make a start on what I already had. Second, earlier in the year I had rashly entered a painting challenge over on The Guild board - and when the first theme for the year was announced as "Armour", these figures got the nod.
The figures are from Warlord games, and were the usual Warlord quality: characterful sculpts with a few small casting flaws here and there, but overall a pleasure to paint.
Its got me thinking as to whats next for my Soviet force. This unit need some transport, and it wont do to give them a softskin... White Scout car or two? M5 halftracks? Whatever it is it will be bristling with .30 and .50 Brownings...
Friday, 21 March 2014
Monday, 10 March 2014
Here are the fruits of such a break - a 6 point Saga warband painted using a much faster technique than I am used to - block, detail, army painter dip and then a basic highlight on each colour. The figures are from Gripping Beast, and I must say they were a pleasure to paint - clear, uncluttered detail and clean castings. Shield and banner decals are from Little Big Men Studios.
Before these pix were taking this warband got two severe maulings - the first from a Viking warband (the traditional first game mauling that any freshly painted wargame army gets) and the second the same evening from one of the family cats: I had left the tray of figures on a table in the entrance hall after getting back from the game, and felix domesticus had decided to investigate. Most of the force was on the floor by the time I intervened.
Some figures required repairs to weapons and shields, and small touchups....
Saturday, 1 March 2014
Firstly, I am not 100% sure that the NMR used halftracks in Italy. The M5s are mentioned in a August 1944 operations report as being the most suitable vehicle for the NMR infantry platoons, but it is not clear whether the author was suggesting they be used in the future , or reporting on their previous use.
Secondly, I am not at all sure that the NMR M5s (if the regiment indeed used them) were painted in the Light Mud/Blue Black pattern. No photograph of which I am aware shows South African halftracks in anything other that Olive Drab or SCC 15. Its not clear exactly when the SA 6th Armoured Division received its first halftracks, but one source suggests that it was as late as May 1944. This is shortly before the issue of "Allied Armies in Italy Routine Order 150" which detailed the repainting of all vehicles to a overall dark green or olive drab equivalent. So while it is possible this pattern was used for a short time, it is unlikely.
Despite the lack of solid evidence, I wanted to finish the vehicle in this way to maintain coherence with the rest of my force, which is currently exclusively in Light Mud/Blue Black pattern. I know I need to add a number of Olive Drab vehicles to my force shortly, to represent the Division later in the war, but frankly I am not looking forward to that - to me those vehicles will lose their distinct "Italian Campaign" identity and look like too many other late war Allied forces in Europe.
This is the resin kit from Warlord Games, with baggage from Warlord and Die Waffenkammer.